6.11.2012

[.run like you stole something.]


I had to keep telling myself this on Saturday.  My main goal was to run the race without stopping.  Goal accomplished.
It definitely was a mind game though, that is for sure.
Many times I wanted to stop.  Telling myself that my foot hurt so I should stop for just a second, or that my hips were going to fall out of place.
Eer, wrong.  I hear excuses.  Keep freaking going.
I really almost started crying at the end, not because I was hurting (which I was) but because I knew that I was going to accomplish a goal that I set my mind to.
Running races is not all about how physically fit you are.  It is about how strong your mind is.  Stop telling yourself you can't, because you can.  Your legs are not chopped off, they are perfectly in tact, keep MOVING!
These were all things going through my mind the entire race.
When my feet were hurting, or my calves were on fire and I wanted to take a break, I kept thinking about all that I have in my life and those I surround myself with.  That is what kept me going. Thinking that the 75 year old lady in front of me isn't stopping so why should I?  I probably thought about every single one of my clients and the different struggles they all go through and how I need to set the example to them.  Thinking about Lance and how I would have to keep up with Rudy, yes they kept me going.  So many "legit reasons" excuses as to why I should have stopped.
But I had a plan.  A plan to run the whole time, and nothing was going to stop me.  Unless in fact, my legs did fall off, then I hope someone would have picked my sorry ars up and dragged me across the finish line.
But since that didn't happen, I was actually proud of myself for not stopping.  I know I could have done better, I know I could have trained more, but it is what it is and what happened, happened.  There is always another race to run and I'm only competing with myself.



My client Erica ran the race as well.  I can not even say how proud I was when I saw her crossing the finish line and with an AWESOME attitude I might add!


As sad as I was that Lance didn't run it with me this year, I was happy to see him cheering me on at the finish line, I hope he knows what he is in for.  He was there once, he's now expected to be there every time ;)


After our run we went over to get massages, Katie said something along the lines of "look at that man enjoying his massage and eating his creamy."  Well, look at that!  If it wasn't John Rhode himself!  The winner of Biggest Loser!  Inspiring those around him daily!


 
After these kind of experiences I'm always looking for the next thing to try.  I'm thinking cycling and swimming... I see a triathalon in my future..

2 {leave some love}:

Brad and Mandi said...

Way to go girl!! You are we awesome!

David and Amelia said...

Way to go Kendra!