9.14.2010

[.she who laughs last thinks slowest but she who laughs first has the dirtiest mind.]

We may have had to reschedule but we were finally able to get together to go tent camping at Strawberry Reservoir.
 Ben and Julie came to our house Friday evening and we went on our way.  Truck packed full.Once we got there the boys started a fire and got the tents set up while Julie and I started dinner.  We were planning to have spaghetti.  As we were getting started we realized that one of the tubs were missing.  The tub that contained the "dry goods".  Have you ever tried camping without paper plates?
That tub of dry goods contained the spaghetti sauce that was needed for dinner.
So, change of plans...
Maybe just hot dogs over the fire?
Oh wait, we need buns for hot dogs..
Mm..
"Oh, Julie, I brought some extra bread, we could use bread for buns?"

Hot dogs just didn't sound as good as spaghetti did.



Julie found some mushroom and onion seasoning stuff in one of her other tubs, so we tried to think what we could do with that.

Here were our options:
Noodles
Butter
Salt
Onion and Mushroom seasoning
Sour cream
Frozen hamburger meat
Brown gravy mix


Doesn't sound the most appetizing now does it?


Well Ben told us to start boiling the noodles and get a pot of boiling water going and he'd come up with something.

So we boiled noodles and a pot of water and cooked the frozen meat (which we were planning to use for next days dinner so it wouldn't be frozen).


Once the tents were set up Ben came over and added onion and mushroom seasoning to the boiling pot of water, with a little brown gravy mix and sour cream.


Our planned spaghetti was turned into some sort of stroganoff.  Remember how I mentioned we didn't have paper plates?  How on earth were we going to eat this?  We learned, very well,  how to improvise this trip.
The pans we were cooking in..soon turned into our plates.  But since there were only two shallow pots/pans Ben & Julie shared and Lance & I shared.

Great times.

Before going to bed we sat by the fire to stay warm.

 
We woke up the next morning and made breakfast burritos.
Yes that is a Frisbee.   Unfortunately, there was only one.  But it worked as a good plate, since all of our pots and pans were occupied with cooking food.


As much as I really missed our dry goods I am really am glad we at least had the coolers because they had the necessities.

Although s'mores could be considered a necessity.


Once breakfast was cleaned up we went to the marina before we headed on our way.  At the marina we grabbed some tinfoil (for tinfoil dinners that night), paper towels, ice, paper plates (even though the pans were fun I'd much rather use plates), and we even got lucky and the man gave us some of the hot chocolate cups and stirrers.  He probably heard me tell Julie to put them in her jacket and take them, then I felt bad, so I asked, and he said to just take them.  So maybe that was just our blessing for not stealing, or at least that's what I'm going to tell myself.  Pretty much we spent as much on those items as half of our entire trip.


We then drove to a place to go shooting.


Of course, Lance had the BYU game blaring from the truck so he could hear every second.  We made our own targets out of our new paper plates to use as practice.  I didn't end up shooting at the targets though because I had a little friend following me around the entire time.  His name was Belligerent Bee, and he stung me...twice.  Once on each hand.  If I could find him I'd hurt him back.

After a few hours we went back to the camp site to make some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch.  The game was still going on so Lance sat in the truck while Ben, Julie and I played Yahtzee in the tent.

A little later we packed up our fishing gear and went to the reservoir to catch ourselves some fishies.
Julie and I had a couple bites, Lance caught 2 medium fishies (which we cooked up for a snack), and Ben caught himself one big fishy.  But since we were all standing up on the rocks it was kind of a long ways up to pull a fish in from the water, so his big fishy got away.


It was seriously so pretty,
perfect way to end the night.

...


Well that perfect-ness only lasted for so long.
We woke up to a flat tire.
At least my man is a handy man:)

I guess I've sorta made my own little tradition

It started in Moab - up by delicate arch
 03.23.08
Then Moon Lake
07.28.08
 Now Strawberry
09.11.10

1 {leave some love}:

Jenny said...

These kind of trips make the best memories!!!

Your hair looks cute!